Re: Release-critical Bugreport

Edward Betts <edward@debian.org> writes:

> > Package: emacs20 (main)
> > Maintainer: Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
> >   33237  /etc/alternatives/emacs not managed properly - /usr/bin/emacs doesn't run emacs20
> >   38236  emacs can't find its info file
>
> The emacs info file is installed as /usr/info/emacs-e20.gz but emacs
> expects it to be called /usr/info/emacs.gz, emacs20 can not install
> it as /usr/info/emacs.gz because then it would not be possible to
> install emacs19 and emacs20 at once. The obvious thing to do would
> be to handle it using alternatives like the executable, this method
> was suggested by the bugs submitter Jonathan Perret
> <jperret@cybercable.fr>. I would be willing to do a NMU, but the
> package is too big for me to download, maybe when I get my Debian
> CDs back from the person I lent them to.

I'm finally getting back to working in earnest on emacs20.  (Right now
I'm waiting on some upstream feedback on the (seemingly, though not
proven, harmless) segfaults on calls to exit.

I should be able to fix this bug soon.  I think we should stick with
each flavor of emacs installing its info pages with a specific name
(like emacs-e20-*.gz and then using alternatives to point emacs-*.gz
to them).

That should fix the problem, shouldn't it?  Or is there something I'm
overlooking?

Thanks