Re: (Fwd) Re: [awansink@ke.com.au: Re: Isn't a kde version of abiw

On Sat, May 29, 1999 at 10:50:05AM +0300, Riku Voipio wrote:
> Why doesn't QTv2 fall under the "system" clause? Afterall, we know
> several GPL:d apps that link them on motif, for example ddd.

It can, however....

> to quote GPL:
>
> "the source code distributed need not include
> anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
> form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
> operating system"
>
> QTv2 will be normally distributed with OS, as it will be in the
> main.

This is hotly debated, some people say that nothing X-based should be
considered "part of the operating system", others say that Qt, gtk, and X
are all part of Linux, and others still say that Qt would have to be at
least Standard priority to be part of the operating system itself.

As for your quote, you did not quote completely, in fact you left out the
most important part.  I reproduce the sentance in its entirety:

  However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
  include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or
  binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of
  the operating system on which the executable runs, UNLESS THAT
  COMPONENT ITSELF ACCOMPANIES THE EXECUTABLE.  [Emphasis added]

So if Qt is considered to be part of the system, Qt must not accompany
KDE.  If both are in main, Qt is accompanying KDE.  Ack!  I do wish that
clause would get rewritten.  I think a lot of people would be mightily
annoyed if it was removed (given that they use the GNU utilities places
like Solaris and it's a good thing...)  Still, a rewrite would hopefully
make a lot of people happier.

"All we have to fear is fear itself!"
"And almost but not quite free software..."
"That too."
"And binary only kernel drivers."
"Okay, yeah, that too."
"And..."