Re: (Fwd) Re: [awansink@ke.com.au: Re: Isn't a kde version of abiw

Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Are their lawyers any different from Debian lawyers?

Yes.  They exist.

Ivan writes:
> Debian just lives by the CYA policy. :) I don't know about the others.
> They probably follow the same thoughts as everyone else.

Or the advice of their attorneys.

Lawyer to Red Hat exec: "If we include that package there is a small risk
that we will be forced to destroy all the unsold CD's containing it.  We
would not have to pay any damages."

Red Hat exec: "We can live with that."

Lawyer: "Cheap Bytes et al would also have to destroy their CD's."

Exec: "Not our problem.  Ship it."

Debian-legal to developers: "If we include that package there is a small
risk that we will be forced to remove it from the archive.  We don't think
we would have to pay any damages."

Developers: "What about "Cheap Bytes et al?"

Debian-legal: "They might have to destroy their CD's."

Developers: "What!  Pull that package!  We can't afford to have them even
suspect that such a thing could happen!  And what do you mean, you don't
*think* we would have to pay damages?  Pull that package!
john@dhh.gt.org            Do with it what you will.