Bugs in bash (was: Release-critical Bugreport)

On debian-devel-announce, BugScan reporter <wakkerma@debian.org> wrote:
> Package: bash (main)
> Maintainer: Guy Maor <maor@debian.org>
>   34125  Latest bash breaks mandb

That one is a bit odd. It works on my system. What more can I say? If this bug
can not be reproduced it should be closed or downgraded.

>   34138  bash: bug doesn't work anymore

This is the same problem as #35214.

>   34717  bash: contains /bin/sh link

Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler <ujr@physik.phy.tu-dresden.de> the submitter of this bug
feels that bash should not clobber peoples /bin/sh if it is another file or a
link to another file.

A possible sollution provided by Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> was:

if [ ! -e /bin/sh ]; then ln -s bash /bin/sh; fi

I would add to this bug the question about a link to the sh man page. In the
debian/rules file of bash are these lines:

        ln -s bash debian/tmp/bin/sh
        ln -s bash.1.gz debian/tmp/usr/man/man1/sh.1.gz

So should these be removed from debian/rules and add these two lines to the
postinst:

[ ! -x /bin/sh ] && ln -sf bash /bin/sh
[ ! -e /usr/man/man1/sh.1.gz ] && ln -sf bash.1.gz /usr/man/man1/sh.1.gz

Notice I use -x for /bin/sh instead of -e, I really want /bin/sh to be
executable, if it is not it will replaced with a link to bash.

I have the souce to bash, I am willing to do a NMU or provide the maintainer
with a patch. But, I am a little unsure about doing an NMU for such an
important package (I have never done any NMU's before). If somebody else wants
to it is quite an easy change.

>   35214  bash: Incorrect 'case' pattern matching when LANG=fr

Thomas Quinot <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org> the submiter of this bug provides some
examples:

>When LANG=fr_FR, bash's behaviour is incorrect, as follows:
>
>$ case h in [A-Z]) echo BROKEN;; esac
>BROKEN
>$
>
>When LANG=C, the correct behaviour is obtained:
>
>$ case h in [A-Z]) echo BROKEN;; esac
>$

I can now reproduce the same problem on my machine, this wants somebody with
better coding skills than me, I am just trying to fix a few packaging bugs.

--
I consume, therefore I am