gettext packages

I am a little confused by the gettext packages in potato and the
archive.  Both gettext and liblocale-gettext-perl are, according to
their control files, in the base section, but neither live in base in
the archive.  Also, while gettext is optional, liblocale-perl-gettext
is important.

So do we have any sort of policy about these sorts of packages, and
indeed about these two packages specifically?  Should we make them
both important, and encourage all packages which have shell or perl
scripts to make use of gettext, to facilitate i18n?

And as i18n support improves, will we move towards providing all of
the translations within the one package, or will we have one
English-only package, maybe several other one-language+English
packages and one i18n package with lots of languages?

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
             Debian GNU/Linux Developer.  jdg@debian.org
       -*- Finger jdg@master.debian.org for my PGP public key. -*-