Re: Give Out Just Binary CDS [was: Paying CD vendors for freebies]

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Richard Braakman wrote:

> renfro@tntech.edu wrote:
> > And from a GPL morality standpoint, there's nothing in the GPL that says
> > one *has* to give away the source right then, right there, and at zero
> > cost. Even the FSF sells some fairly expensive CDs of the stuff that's
> > available via ftp.
>
> However, you will have to give them a written offer, valid for at least
> three years, to supply the source at cost if anyone asks for it.

Would the fact that the source is publicly accessible via ftp and http
qualify there? My reading of the GPL indicates that it would be acceptable
for distribution purely via the net, but doesn't explicitly say that "give
out a binary CD, have them get source from the net" is a valid option.

--
Mike Renfro  / Instructor, Basic Engineering Program
931 372-3601 / renfro@tntech.edu