Re: PROPOSAL: automatic installation and configuration

Amos Shapira <amos@gezernet.co.il> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu>
> >   The idea was to make a program similar to dialog, but which would
> > interpret a mini-language and be abstracted around data instead of widgets.
>
> Not to sound like an XML biggot, but what about using XML to describe
> the fields and acceptable answers?  There is an abundance of tools to
> parse XML in any practical language you might consider.
>
> >   I think this may be a better approach than simply asking for answers
> > because it allows both structure and distinction between different data
>
> I agree with these advantages.
>
> >   If anyone else thinks this is a good idea I'll revive the project and
> > start working on the C (or maybe C++) incarnation.
>
> I like the general idea (describe the questions in some data format).

Too late, I started weeks ago.

fto://mirjam.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/pub/debian/*

You need dpkgconfig and qvwm. The first asks questions, the second
uses dpkgconfig to configure itself. Its just a first alpha release,
but a whiptail interface and a menuconfig interface are wayting at
home to get the last touch and get uploaded.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin