Re: SGML packages in debian (also ITP XML::*)

Stevie Strickland <sstrickl@resnet.gatech.edu> writes:

> I was digging back through the mailing list, and found this message
> from around the first of April... the list of packages below caught
> my eye...
[...]
> >   OpenXML  (should be free)
> >   XML4j (not sure if utterly free, but close)
> >   Cacoon (see the Apache/Java project)
>
> What about these?  Are any of these still needed?

I don't know if cacoon or OpenXML are really usable yet.

> I'm definitely interested in seeing that all the XML tools that are
> needed will be packaged, as I plan to start working with XML myself
> ;)

If you are interested in XSL, you should look at James Clark's free
but java based XT and XP <URL:ftp://ftp.jclark.com/pub/xml/>
<URL:http://www.jclark.com/xml/>.  XP is a pretty good XML parser that
I hear a lot of people are using, and XT is probably the best free XSL
processor currently available, and since its from James Clark, that's
a good thing too.

Most of the stuff people are actually using with XML works with SAX in
some way, <URL:http://www.megginson.com/SAX/>, notable amonst which
are XML4j from Alphaworks, SAX for Python, XP (see above), SAXON, and
Koala XSL <URL:http://www.inria.fr/koala/XML/xslProcessor/>.

This is just what I hear people using.  My suggestion is that you just
poke around at <URL:http://www.xml.org/> or <URL:http://www.xml.com/>
or <URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/> and play around with stuff,
then when you find the tool you want to use, go use it.