Re: An 'ae' testimony

Just thought that i would throw my two cents in since i still remember the
switch from DOS/Windows to Linux.

I had some problems with ae on my first install (1.3). I just installed off of
floppies and only new about ae. So i was using it for editing. After i learned
a little about bash i edited my bash profile and added some aliases. None of
them worked cuz ae actually inserted ^M when i hit return. So i got on irc (on
a windows box) and asked a friend what the errors that i was getting were. He
told me to edit the file again in vi and see if there wer any control
characters that were in the file. So i typed 'vi .bash_profile' and was lost.
I did see hte ^M's though so i knew i could fix it from there and bought UNIX
for Dummies to learn vi. I still liked ae though.

the same and some of them just seemed to not work. I learned more about vi,
installed vim and went on with that.

Well i tried to install FreeBSD about 5 months ago. I did NOT go smoothly
especially the dialing my isp and ftping it, Just would not work right. So my
friend set up his box for ip-masq and i installed it that way. well ee was the
editor and my only thought was "Well this is easy." I wish it had been on the
debian boot disks at the time that i needed them.

I will agree with the vi zealots that vi is fast, easy and once you learn it
like second nature. But remembering what it was actually like to come from
where most new linux users come from i remember how hard vi was and how weird
ae was.

--
  _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _  Justin N. Penney