Re: An 'ae' testimony

phil> Paul Seelig <pseelig@mail.Uni-Mainz.de> writes:
>> Maybe "vi" on the boot disks should simply say "vi didn't fit on
>> the bootdisk, so please use the self explaining 'ae' which will be
>> started right now" and forget about the bothersome vi emulation
>> nuisance.

phil> This has been suggested before, and I've no idea why it wasn't
phil> adopted.

Maybe because no-one's filed a bug report with this suggestion?

phil> Is there anyone out there that actually likes using ae in
phil> pretend-vi mode ?

No -- in my mind the consensus is that we take one of two steps:

 a) keep ae, but remove the vi emulation mode -- I haven't seen anyone
 claim that ae sans emulation mode is good enough.  The list seems to
 agree, the ae maintainer agrees, and it's easy to implement, so I
 suggest this is the course of action we take.

 b) replace ae with something else, the only real contender AFAICT
 being 'ee'

Dale, do you agree with (a)?   Should we just go with that?