Re: Netscape under unstable...

On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 05:40:44PM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> > There is apparently an egcs optimization bug that miscompiles a few object
> > files that are included in the X libraries.
> Could you just compile those object files with optimization off?

Yes, that is the idea.  The trick is figuring out exactly what kludge to
use to get that to happen.  The X makefiles are generated from Imakefiles.
And I don't think there is an Imakefile option like this:

ObjectsForWhichToTurnOptimizationOffBecauseYourCompilerIsBuggy =

I'm hoping to do something less ugly (and less time-consuming) than the Red
Hat method but I may not succeed.

> > Alternatively, if egcs 2.95 is out and packaged before I release -5
> > (probably next week), that may have the fix.
> Not likely. GCC 2.95 (formerly EGCS 1.2) just made a stable branch and
> is complete code freeze. The first of July is the target release date
> (all Debian users know, of course, that it will be released excatly on
> that date.)

Well, there's no point freezing if you're not going to fix SOME bugs,
otherwise you might as well release the day you freeze.  The question is
whether this optimization error is considered critical enough to fix before
release.  Having never written an LALR parser, let alone a code generator,
I wouldn't presume to dictate standards of bug severity to the GCC
developers.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   I must despise the world which does not
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   know that music is a higher revelation