Re: Time to rewrite dpkg

* Sven LUTHER said:

> > > Is that true, I have heard this agrument often, but is it true, and is it still
> > > so today ? Is there effort made to fix this ? how far are they ?
> >
> > I haven't used RTTI, but in my experience templates work without problems
>
> I also heard that templates bloat the code, not just that they don't
> work, what about it, what size are your executable compared to
> equivalent C stuff, what speed do you loose by using C++ templates.
I don't know about the overhead on GNU, but from what I remember Borland
added about 30KB to every C++ executable whether it used exceptions or not
(it was mostly the startup and stack unwinding code). As to the speed, it
shouldn't affect it - as long as you don't use the try/catch blocks in your
code.

marek