Re: Time to rewrite dpkg

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 03:01:12PM -0700, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> Polymorphism is such an obvious pillar of structured programming that I
> can't understand how anybody could live without it.

Agreed.  Too bad C++ does not support parametric polymorphism too well.
Templates come close, so the hope is not lost.

> Basically, any one feature or behavioural pragma need only be implemented in
> one component; afterwards it's applicable to all future setups.

This is basic modular design, not anything specific to C++ or OO.  I can
easily implement this kind of a design in C and the procedural framework.

> As far as writing it, no. As far as getting something like this accepted,
> it's going to take time, no question about it.

I think I'll be looking forward to seeing your code.

                      Good Times are back again!
                  http://www.iki.fi/gaia/zangelding/