Re: lost packages

Michael Meskes wrote:
>I just checked via dselect to see which packages on my slink/potato machine
>are not found in the potato archive. I wonder what happened to them.
>Here's my list (after removing the obvious ones like libgtk1.1.*):
>
>conf

Oh my goodness! A conf user! I thought those all disappeared with the
grea...

err waitasec alright this isn't return to zork :>

I had conf removed from potato because there was no evidence of anyone
using it. No bugs had ever been filed against it (I *know* there's bugs in
conf), and no dependancies were ever thrust upon it.

That combined with the existance of something better (apt-config), as well
as the namespace-pollution factor and general dislike of windows .ini-style
files led me to conclude that this was not something anyone would be using,
nor anything I would want users to be stuck using on behalf of some utility
for all time immortal, something a few hundred times more probable if conf
were to ever make it into a stable release.

See http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/36/36611.html

If you want to take over the package I can send you everything.
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"Now don't you think that's better than some quadrupally redundant,