Re: evan leibovitch and the LPI certification tests

sorry feel compelled to dive into the fray, but...

<rant>
On Tue, 18 May 1999, Mark Mealman wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 03:16:38PM -0700, Craig Brozefsky wrote:
> >
> > "Debian, so far, has been very popular in academia, hobbyist and
> >  research circles, but doesn't appear to be a big player in the retail
> >  and commercial fields."
>
> Well damn, I work for one of the US's largest insurance brokerage firms
> and we use Debian.
>
> Guess I should run out and pick up Red Hat, before the LPI police come
> knocking.

I'm guilty too!  I guess I should just hand over my production frame-relay
routers all over the US and in Sweden, Germany, Malaysia, and Brazil too.
Let me just fill out a purchase order for 40 copies of RH at $50 apiece...

> Sure would hate to give up Debian's top-notch security, stability, and
> ease of maintenance though. Then again, we're commercial and not
> educational so we really don't need those qualities in a Linux
> distribution.

Commercial people never need to worry about things like true "hassle-free"
licensing, or being able to build a custom sendmail package in 10 minutes
by grabbing the source package and adding their own configuration files
(btw, thanks to Richard Nelson for a rock-stable package).  And who wants
to be able to upgrade with a single command line or without reboots?

Oh yea, and who wants to use free software when you follow a single vendor
down the yellow brick road until they have you right where they want
you?!?
</rant>

  tony@mancill.com         |  You don't get something for nothing,
http://www.mancill.com     |  You can't have freedom for free.