Re: Release Plans (1999-05-10)

Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:

> Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > I'd like to point out that expecting freeze to be shorter than 10
> > weeks is lunacy.  We have 5 architectures now.... Consider that
> > archive changes at any point in freeze imply changes in boot floppies
> > (well, for anything in base) and in the CD system.

> From freeze to release, one month.  We won't freeze at all until we
> have a plan that allows this.  The plan must have room for delays,
> and the ripple effects caused by changes.

Huh?  Why do you say this?  As long as I've been with Debian, I've
never seen anything shorter than a 2 month freeze.  How do you propose
to shorten it?  I think the "Release Maillist" idea will help, but I
can't see how we're going to avoid a bug shake-out period (esp. for
boot-floppies and debian-cd, not to mention all the pkgs with release
critical bugs).

I assume we *are* planning to release potato sometime in 1999?