Re: better /etc/init.d/network

I looked at the code (have not run it yet).

Nice.  Well documented, clean.  The design seems sound.  An up/down section is
also handy.

Shipping a default config would be nice, maybe in the /usr/doc/net/examples?

A little heavy on the bash code for my liking, but I understand why.

Have you mailed the maintainer of the netbase package (which provides the
functionality you are replacing, I believe)?  He may have suggestions.

Short term solution, remove the network script from your package.  Inform the
user that they must edit /etc/init.d/network, you can provide the script in
an examples directory in /usr/doc/net.