Re: Potato compiling environment on otherwise slink system

Petr Cech wrote:

> No.

No? there's nothing wrong with this?

>     More or less, yes.

But yes? I must upgrade _everything_ to potato?
I'm sorry, I'm confused.

>                        The reason for recompiling is, that packages depend
> on glibc-2.1 (libc6 (>=2.1)) - so you must install those libraries. The
> compiler alone won't help. Not mentioning, that gcc in potato in linked with
> libc-2.1.

I understand this.  That's why I'm using apt--get to catch all
the dependencies, including the new glibc-2.1.  I'm just worried
that this could leave my system in an unusable state.

> > This will upgrade libc6.  Will the rest of the system (slink)
> > still function correctly?
>
> again - almost all. The problem is with shared libraries. When I upgraded
> to glibc-2.1 one machine, I forgot about libreadlineg2 - bash worked almost
> corrently, that is, when you hit <TAB> it core-dumped.

So I might have a few problems, some of which are already known?
Has anyone done this and taken notes?

Thanks,
Peter