Potato compiling environment on otherwise slink system

I run Slink at work and at home, but decided to install potato's
gcc and g++ on my home box to recompile the potato packages that
I maintain (keeping work box on slink for stability).

Since my bandwidth is at work, I doing the following to download
what I need (and then I'll sneaker-net everything home on a Zip):

# apt-get -d -u install gcc g++
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libfltk-dev libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1-dev cpp libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 libc6-dev
  libfltk1 libc6 mesag3
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libstdc++2.9-dev timezone
  libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1-dev libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 libfltk1 mesag3
The following packages will be upgraded
  libfltk-dev g++ cpp gcc libc6-dev libc6
6 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 2 to remove and 265 not upgraded.
Need to get 7524kb of archives. After unpacking 7823kb will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Anything wrong with this?  Or must I upgrade _everything_ to
potato.

This will upgrade libc6.  Will the rest of the system (slink)
still function correctly?

Thanks!
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada