Re: (LONG) Correct non-US solution

Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:

> Jonathan Walther wrote:
> > Mirroring Software:
> > -------------------
> > Im not sure what software is currently used for synchronizing mirrors,
> > however, it will need to take the above policies into account.  Hopefully
> > our additions to the policy will make it so much easier to "stay legal" and
> > avoid worries about legalities that the maintainers will wish to use such
> > software.
>
> Here's the problem.  We have no control over what software most mirror
> sites run, and most of them run a standard mirroring program that handles
> all their mirrors.  They will not want to make an exception for Debian.
> You will have to find a scheme that can be handled by generic tools.

Well, nearly every mirroring script I have ever seen takes a list of
files to exclude.  Since every mirror would have a set of the metadata
for all packages, they could generate the list of excluded packages
which they should not get.  So a script which took the package
metadata, and the ISO country code would be able to generate a script
for mirrors in any given country.  These could be put into a well
known location on the master server and all servers would mirror them
just like another file.

Then at mirror time, the exclusion list appropriate to their country
would be given to their mirroring software.  Only one mirror per
country (the root mirror prefereably) need do this, as the rest could
just mirror them straight up like they always have.

Am I missing anything?

--
Craig Brozefsky        <craig@red-bean.com>
Less matter, more form!      - Bruno Schulz