Re: (COMPATIBILITY) Correct non-US solution

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> The concern has been raised about people using older versions of apt
> suddenly unknowingly breaking the law. I propose that the new mirroring
> scheme only apply to those distributions (potato? the one after?) which
> implement the policy.  All the older ones would continue to be mirrored as
> before.

Simpler: instead of requiring people to add /etc/LEGAL, either add it by
default or require them to add /etc/ILLEGAL. No reason to have illegal be
the default, might get someone sued. (Actually, the whole scheme might be
considered "hooks" for encryption and be illegal in some countries; beats
me. Too bad only lawyers understand the law. :-( )

Havoc