Solaris NFS problems with potato / Release Notes

It is nearly impossible to compile a large software package on a NFS mounted
partion on potato, when it is exported by Solaris 2.6 (UltraSPARC). A search
in Deja News (Solaris NFS patch in comp.os.linux.*) found a couple of
controversal postings. After installing the patch recommended by Linus

 105379-05

(& stopping and starting the NFS-server on Solaris) the problems did not
disappear.

To illustrate the problem, I use the cvs source package and compile it on a
local disc. Works well.

Now I do it on an NFS mounted partition:

$debuild
[...]
gcc  -I. -I.. -I. -I../lib -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -g -O2 -c vers_ts.c
gcc  -I. -I.. -I. -I../lib -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -g -O2 -c subr.c
gcc  -I. -I.. -I. -I../lib -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -g -O2 -c filesubr.c
gcc  -I. -I.. -I. -I../lib -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -g -O2 -c run.c
gcc  -I. -I.. -I. -I../lib -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -g -O2 -c version.c
gcc  -I. -I.. -I. -I../lib -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -g -O2 -c error.c
gcc  -I. -I.. -I. -I../lib -I../zlib -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -g -O2 -c ./zlib.c
gcc add.o admin.o buffer.o checkin.o checkout.o classify.o client.o commit.o
create_adm.o cvsrc.o diff.o edit.o entries.o expand_path.o fileattr.o
find_names.o hardlink.o hash.o history.o ignore.o import.o lock.o log.o
login.o logmsg.o main.o mkmodules.o modules.o myndbm.o no_diff.o parseinfo.o
patch.o rcs.o rcscmds.o recurse.o release.o remove.o repos.o root.o rtag.o
scramble.o server.o status.o tag.o update.o watch.o wrapper.o vers_ts.o subr.o
filesubr.o run.o version.o error.o zlib.o ../lib/libcvs.a ../diff/libdiff.a
-lz -lcrypt   -o cvs
checkin.o: file not recognized: File truncated
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [cvs] Error 1

The error message is missleading, it is nearly random per run!

Is anybody using potato with NFS exported Solaris partitions? Which patches
did you apply? Did you try to compile large programs? Hello world programs
work!

Bob,

I think, this issue should go into the release notes, because it may break
systems running slink for months without any problems, until the patch was
applies on the Solaris NFS server. Since the admin of the linux box might not
be able to do the solaris patch it should go into the

 If the user doesn't read the upgrade notes for this package
   *before* upgrading, the upgrade will not run smoothly
     => the maintainer needs to clean up their package so this is not
        the case, but if this is impossible, the situation should be
        described on the main release notes page

And the problem is ugly, because as normal user you will not note immediately,
that something is going wrong, but you can possibly corrupt you NFS mounted
data (usually the home directory!).

I will send you a summary, as soon I get the problem solved.

--Rainer.