Re: Release Plans (1999-05-10)

I agree, I would like to see a system where major releases and minor
releases exist.  (No, we really do not have this as I envision it).  The
major releases would be the base system and libraries
(libc, X, kernel, compilers, etc) and the minor releases would be much
more frequent and only be non critical stuff (window managers, apps).
This would alow work on the next major systrem with the latest copies of
everything, but still allow users sticking with stable to have the
(almost) latest versions of things.  Right now, it seems a new freeze
allows just about anything to be upgraded (glibc 2.1, X, kernel).  These
are bing complicated things, and take a lot more work to make stable than
say window maker.
This type of statagy is similar to what is used in the kernel (unstable
branch with new fetures and stable branch with just updates).

Andrew Lenharth