Re: Package to give away/orphan: GNU acct

On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 09:43:58PM -0400, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> Which kernel-sources, running kernel, libc6, egcc, ... are you using ?  I
> think on my build machine it is
>
> edd@miles:~> dpkg -l kernel-image-2.2.7 kernel-source-2.2.5 libc6 egcc|grep ^ii
> ii  kernel-image-2. edd.1          Linux kernel binary image.
> ii  kernel-source-2 2.2.5-2        Linux kernel source.
> ii  libc6           2.0.7.19981211 GNU C Library: shared libraries
> ii  egcc            2.91.66-0slink The GNU (egcs) C compiler.

aha - you're running glibc 2.0 - sys/acct.h is in the glibc headers, *not*
the kernel headers (and furthermore it doesn't reference them).

I'm running all the current potato tubulation:

frantica:~$ dpkg -l kernel-image-2.2.5 gcc libc6-dev libc6
hi  kernel-image-2. 1.00           Linux kernel binary image.
ii  gcc             2.91.66-1      The GNU (egcs) C compiler.
ii  libc6-dev       2.1.1-5        GNU C Library: Development libraries and hea
ii  libc6           2.1.1-5        GNU C Library: Shared libraries and timezone

>   Robert> I can take over the package for you or at least make an NMU,
>
> Well, it might be sufficient if I can bounce a few things off you, and if we
> both try a thing or two.
>
>   Robert> but I won't have time to make something that autodetects
>   Robert> 2.0.x/2.2.x to work with both, at least not anytime soon.
>
> Well, I wrote something simple in Perl for the last package, but Shaleh says
> it fails on his box.  What does /usr/sbin/compare_kernel_version say for you?

Seems like it could work ok:

frantica:~$ compare_kernel_version 2.0 || echo true
true
frantica:~$ compare_kernel_version 2.2 || echo true
true
frantica:~$ compare_kernel_version 2.4 || echo true
frantica:~$

>   Robert> I think that shipping a broken-for-2.0.x acct package in potato
>   Robert> would be acceptable.
>
> That was all I was shooting for given my limited time. After all, the acct in
> slink is fine-for-2.0-but-broken-for-2.2.

I think the tough part will be getting things to build against two
different sets of headers.
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"Now don't you think that's better than some quadrupally redundant,