Re: Release Plans (1999-05-10)

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Hartmut Koptein wrote:

> The OF of my LongTrail works perfectly but i don't know how to set it up for
> autobooting. Booting from floppy is not (yet) possible (for initrd) because
> the kernel cannot read the floppy. So net or cd booting are the only choices.

assuming it's similar to openboot,

set boot-device disk
setenv autoboot true

are you getting any specific errors reading from floppy?

> Currently i wait for manoj's update for his kernel-package with my
> changes. After  that, compiling will be easier. But then i need
> kernel-diffs for apus, pmac, prep and also mbx for the 2.2.x tree.
> Which class is rs/6000, chrp or prep?

no offense intended, but you'd probably be best holding off till i get my
images/source done for the rs/6000 against 2.2.6 or 2.2.8. 2.2.8 after
looking at the code, will *not* boot on any rs64 (i had 2.2.6 booting on
single rs64 in 32bit mode). the problem is in cort's code; it's simply not
rs64 ready. and barely 604e rs/6k ready. i will HOPEFULLY have this done
by the end of tomorrow. i broke gcc early last week, and finally got it
fixed today, so soon. very soon.

as to chrp/prep, most are neither. s70's are chrp, but s70 advanced
servers don't appear to be. h70's are chrp as well. f50's i still haven't
figured out. *some* f40's are chrp. (only single cpu f40's from what i can
tell so far.)

what i really need is *physical* access to rs/6000's to tell. gotta get
into the openfirmware via aix to figure out what platform it is. and then
from there, it's generally very easy.

btw, i am working on smp support.. i have dual on f40 non-chrp, but single
on everything else still. give me a few months on that. ;)

-Phillip R. Jaenke, Head Unix Guru, Unicent Telecom
 216-344-2603 / 9a->~5p Eastern - PESTER ME!