Re: Release Plans (19990513)

On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 07:03:37AM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 02:28:16PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
>
> >   PAM:
> > Ben Collins sponsored full pamification as a release goal.  The main
> > packages that need work are the shadow suite, and xdm.
>
> /me blinks...
>
> has nis (the package) been PAMified?  I positively hate PAM because it's an
> all or nothing "solution".  After helping some people set nis up on a couple
> of RH boxes, we all agreed RH sucks big time.  They PAMified what they
> considered important, and their nis package wasn't on that list.  End
> result: you have lots of PAMified stuff, but you can't use most of PAM's
> features.

The reason for this is because RH uses libpwdb with their PAM apps and
pam_pwdb as a module. This means you have to setup /etc/nsswitch.conf
_and_ /etc/pwdb.conf to use NIS. We don't use libpwdb in our pam, and
pam_pwdb.so is not to be used as a default module for PAM applications.
Instead pam_unix_*.so is used and works fine with NIS.