Haskell in Debian

On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 04:06:36PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> Sorry, you are right, it is the hugs package who is non-free, didn't know there
> was a free version around.

The free hugs98 is pre-release so I'm keeping the stable non-free version
around.  When hugs98 is released for good (upstream deadline for that is
Feb 99), I'll rename hugs98 into hugs and the old hugs shall be forgotten.
(Around the same time hugs-doc will disappear too, so we shall hope the
ftpmasters will have processed haskell-doc by then...)

In related note, according to unofficial information from Simon Peyton
Jones (the primary author of GHC), the Glasgow Haskell Compiler (GHC) will
become free RSN.  Currently GHC has no license.  I've tried to bootstrap
it but it is so big a beast that I'll probably let it pass.  I hope
someone else packages it when it becomes free.

Most third-party packages for Haskell have no license, which is sad.  This
includes IIRC GreenCard (a uniform foreign language interface for the more
popular implementations) and TkHaskell (a Tk-based GUI library).  Somebody
should start pestering the authors about this so we'll get a good set of
Haskell development tools for woody (or potato if we're lucky).

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho A7 <gaia@iki.fi> ** <URL:http://www.iki.fi/gaia/> **

                       The FAQ is your friend.
                            Trust the FAQ.