Re: Uploading to pandora (nonus)

On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 02:08:13PM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> Who decides weather a non-US package goes in non-US/main, non-US/contrib or
> non-US/non-free? Are there any guidelines available?

Yes, actually, the Debian Free Software Guidelines :)
Software that is threatened by US crypto laws goes to non-US (and some
other problems), but that doesn't mean that the software's licence doesn't
matter.

I'd say, look at it this way: first remove the goverment imposed
restrictions from the package, and then look at the licence of the program.
If it fails the DFSG, it goes to non-US/non-free, otherwise, it goes into
non-US/main (or if it depends on software in non-US/non-free or just
non-free, it goes into contrib).

> Now when I build that package I have to edit debian/control as a porter
> otherwise the port will not be included until the maintainer edits
> debian/control?
> And when I edit it, I'll have to find out myself in which section the
> package will go, ie by locating the source/i386-bin package on the
> non-US server?
> Maybe all non-US packages should be repacked...

I suggest filing bugs against the packages that don't follow the correct
procedure. The change is really trivial (it involves reading the licence
- yes, that can be hard, but we all had to do it for other packages).