Re: KDE debian stuff

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> So if you have beefs with how kde is currently being done from a debian package
> standpoint and would like to see them done differently please let me know.  Here
> is a current list of things that people have already stated needed to be changed
> or was a "god it would be nice"
>
> Ivan

A few issues :

I wonder, is it only me and a screwed potato on my test computer or other
people as well have problems with kde 1.1.1 ?
The symptoms are at least:
  - can't run kappfinder: dies with $(install_root)/usr/share/applink file
    not found
  - Mime types don't work: clicking on almost any file suggests to "Open With"
  - khelp freezes when trying to view "man:something"

I encounter the same problems in pre1.1.1, in current 1.1.1 at ftp.kde.org
and in 1.1.1 from snowcrash.tdyc.com

Downgrading to 1.1 (from 19990306 series at ftp.kde.org) turns everything
to normal.
So, is it specific to me, to potato, or actually a problem with packages ?

Another thing:
I believe, for potato kdm should be compiled with PAM support (or at least
a separate packages kdm-pam, kcheckpass-pam etc. should be provided).

Sergey.