Re: suggestions for improvement

On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 08:54:50PM +0100, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> 2.  A number of programs have colour and mono defaults files.  Each
> time the postinstall for one of these ran, it asked me whether I'd
> prefer the colour or mono version.  I suppose it's possible that I'd
> want colour for some and mono for others, but it doesn't seem very
> likely; my guess is that most users will want all colour or all mono.
>
> It'd save time, therefore, if once you'd answered one of these
> questions, the same answer was assumed for the rest.

The sad thing is, it's not necessary to ask this at all.

If you have the following in /etc/X11/Xresources/xfree86-common:

! load color-specific resources for clients that have them
#ifdef COLOR
*customization: -color
#endif

(and the file ships this way by default), then X clients will read the
app-defaults file that corresponds to Classname-color.

E.g.,

Bitmap-color
Clock-color
XTerm-color

Each of these app-defaults files simply does a #include of the regular
("mono") app-defaults file.

Please file a bug against any package that asks you to choose between mono
and color app-defaults files, and include this mail in it if you want.
Maintainers of packages that need (or should use) a separate app-defaults
file for their application that includes color information should follow
the example files above.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   Reality is what refuses to go away when
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   I stop believing in it.