Re: suggestions for improvement

On Sat, 8 May 1999, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> Wouldn't it be nice if it had guessed that the right default for me
> was British English, on the basis of my timezone?  (Obviously it'd be
> wrong to skip the question entirely.)

No.  Consider the case of America and Canada.  They share 5 timezones
between them, but differ in the default dictionaries that are appropriate.
Too much work for too little gain.  However, if you make a nice patch and
submit it to the maintainer of the "dictionary" package, perhaps it will get
in.

> 3.  A lot of the Emacs packages spend ages byte-compiling various
> files during the install.  Given that the results might well never be
> used this seems rather wasteful.  Also it's quite time-consuming, even
> on a fast machine; I hate to think what it'd be like on a much slower
> machine.

I've never found it to take more than a few minutes.  Again, if you want to
submit a patch to emacs so that packages are byte-compiled when they are
first called, feel free.

Jonathan