Re: Setup API, The next step (Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal)

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 05:33:24PM -0400, Dave Neil wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> There does not seem to be any objections to the initial proposal of
> doing a setup API and perhaps rethinking how we do an install.
> Would it be possible to come to a consensus on this and decide if
> it's worth pursuing as a joint project together?
>
> Here's an idea for a time table.
> 1.For Potato i386 we work together support an X install and the new
> setup API  system. Perhaps a joint GTK based install GUI if it would
> help move this forward.

I'm all for working together on the setup API. I'm still unconvinced
about the suitability of the X based install for our network or
floppy-based installations. And I still don't see how will you do it for
systems with SCSI CD-ROMS.

> If everyone agrees it would be necessary that all essential sub-system
> developers communicate that they are ready and will be able to help.
> These are for example the:
>         kernel people
>         dbootstrap
>         busybox
>         boot-floppies
>         dselect and apt etc.

dbootstrap and busybox are part of the boot-floppies, and are developed
by the boot-floppies team (altough recently Bruce Perens have restarted
maintaining busybox as an independent tool).

As the maintainer of dbootstrap and i386 boot-floppies, I'm willing to
work on our common goal of improving the installation system.

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es