Re: slink=>potato upgrade difficulty

In debian.development, you wrote:
>However, I notice that while this did upgrade many packages, it did not
>upgrade the kernel package; aparently apt did not see fit to upgrade my
>slink 2.0.36 kernel to 2.2.5.
>
>My questions: did I do this right?  Was this the correct behavior?  (Did
>this happen because the -f prevented apt from upgrading the kernel when some
>already-installed pacakges require a 2.0.36 kernel?)  How can I upgrade my
>kernel?

Yes, yes, no, and:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.5

Better yet, untar your favorite kernel source (2.2.7ac2 is out :) somewhere
(I usually dump it in my home directory), apply whatever patches you want,
config it using whatever makefile target you usually use (like make
menuconfig), then make sure the kernel-package and fakeroot packages are
installed and type: fakeroot make-kpkg binary

You'll now have your very own .debs of that kernel in the parent directory
of your kernel source tree - go ahead and install them.

>The last question is complicated by the fact that I am running the slink
>base with the aic7xxx version 5.1.15 code (from the special bug fix
>rescue/base floppy images at http://www.debian.org/~adric/aic7xxx/) because
>I need this to support my motherboard's 7895-based SCSI (which handles all
>my fixed disk).  (The standard slink distribution hangs at boot on my
>machine.)  Looking at the potato kernel source, it looks to me like version
>5.1.14 of the aic7xxx driver is included; presumeably the best thing for me
>to do would be to fetch the 2.2.2 kernel package from potato, patch it with
>aic7xxx v5.1.15, build it, and install it using make-kpkg, yes?  Is there a
>way that I can accomplish this kernel install (2.0.36 => 2.2.5 migration) at
>the same time as I upgrade all packages that depend on the kernel image?

Very few packages (lsof comes to mind) depend on a specific kernel
version. lsof will be fixed so it doesn't (with 2.2.x, it can use /proc).

For general potato-and-kernel-2.2 issues, check:

http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/running-kernel-2.2

...paying special attention to the items marked 'not yet fixed in potato'.

>If I am completely off base here, or if there is a simpler, better way to do
>this, I'd appreciate hearing it!

Nah, you're doing alright.

>(I'm a relative newbie to this sleek new
>package world; why, I can still remember when I was your age, back in the
>Bad Old Days, we actually had to type 'cpio' at a shell prompt, and 'make'
>too, and we had to use our slide rules to figure the right blocking factor
>for the prevailing relative humidity, and the best compression we had was
>the nice red rubber bands which would hold the cards real tight-like, but
>sometimes made them stick you see, and, when after waiting a few weeks for
>the file transfer of the latest release via USPS protocol, and several hours
>for our kernel build to finish, the console lineprinter said 'panic: 7;
>/dev/kmem saved to disk' we were still thankful....  Yep, now those were the
>days!)

Yeah but did you have to walk to school 20 miles uphill both ways in the snow
during a hurricane with an abominable snowman chasing you? :>
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"Now we'll have to kill you." -- Linus Torvalds