Re: Desktop Entry Standard

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> Actually the way it works now is maintainers supply only menu files and the
> menu package generates the .desktop files from them as needed. I remember
> writing that menu method file for kde packages a few years back...

Right. Now that I think about it more, this is really fine.

Come to think of it, a more important issue for Debian is merging the menu
hierarchy. That is, right now the Gnome panel has all Gnome apps on the
main menu, and then a little "Debian" submenu. This is way lame, really.
(Though, not quite as lame as Windows apps installing themselves under the
possibly obscure vendor name instead of the app name :-)

Since Gnome has to work on non-Linux systems, this may be something for
the Debian packagers to resolve rather than an upstream issue (i.e. Gnome
comes with a tree of .desktop files, but on Debian this tree should be
autogenerated by the Debian menu system rather than copied from upstream).

Just a thought though.

Havoc