Re: linux 2.0.x will not compile on unstable

On Thu, 06 May, 1999, Edward Betts wrote:
> Potato uses egc as the standard C compiler. But, linux 2.0.x will not compile
> with a version of gcc greater than 2.7.2.x, when I tried to compile the code I
> got the error message:
> ----
> This code is tested with gcc 2.7.2.x only. Using egcs/gcc 2.8.x needs
> additional patches that have not been sufficiently tested to include by default.
>
> See http://www.suse.de/~florian/kernel+egcs.html for more information Remove
> this if you have applied the gcc 2.8/egcs patches and wish to use them.
> ----
> I am about to download and apply the patches, but I am not sure if they will
> work. I have to use the 2.0.36 kernel, 2.2.7, won't handle my sound card or
> extra mono display. Could gcc be made avaliable by alternatives so I could set
> CC=gcc272 in the kernel makefile, could I have two versions of gcc installed
> at once, or is that not possible? I will probably end up installing gcc on my
> firewall (a machine running slink), and compile the kernel there, not an
> optimal situation, I know.
>
> I think it would be a shame if Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 could not compile old
> kernels.

I have since downloaded the patch to make linux 2.0.x compile with egcs and I
can tell you it worked on my machine. If potato is going to ship with
kernel-source-2.0.36 it is going to want this patch. I no longer think there
is any need for the odd gcc to be included using the alternatives system.

--
I consume, therefore I am