Re: debhelper v2

> Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > Another couple of requests:  I would love to see more use of
> > complex_doit rather that doit when reading file lists.  It would be
> > much nicer to be able to say README.* in one of the debhelper files
> > than have to list all of the files explicitly.
>
> No. This was never documented to work, never intended to work, and will soon
> not work if you'll show me where it does work. :-) It's much more important
> to me to not treat any character specially, so any filenames can be
> specified. If you want wildcard expansion, you can get it on the debhelper
> command line.

That can get very messy.  For example, it currently works for
dh_movefiles, and it could be very messy to have to list this on the
command line, if there are certain types of files, distinguished by
their extension, which require moving, for example.

I'm not worried about treating all characters equally: I would
personally prefer the inconvenience of having to type a filename with
backslashes before shell metacharacters than to have to list (a
possibly changing) list of explicit filenames.

A better way to do it would be to have only *, ? and \ be special,
with \ quoting precisely these three.  Then any filename which
contained an unquoted * or ? would be given to glob before being
passed on to the command in question.

How does this sound?

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk