Re: Origin of Open Source, history of Linux?

Bjorn Isaksson <bjorn@educ.umu.se> writes:

> * http://www.educ.umu.se/~bjorn/mhonarc-files/obsolete/
>
> A classic flamewar, also from comp.os.minix.  Remeber that
> this is from 1992 when Linus was an unknown student and
> Tanenbaum was already a wellknown and respected researcher
> and professor in OS-design. This is also from a time when
> Linus considered himself "the best programmer since Jesus".
> Excerpt with Linus in topform and with an attitude:

That just reminds me, wasn't there some talk some (long) time ago of
creating a "Andy-Tannenbaum Award" to be awarded to the most die-hard
Linux/Free-Software disbelievers, which have been proven wrong quite
drastically in retrospect[1], i.e. which just didn't get some
important fact?  And if there wasn't, I'd like to revive that idea,
and would suggest SCO's president Doug Michels to be awarded the ATA
sometimes in 200X, when SCO's product line will be practically
dead, for his comments in [2]... :-)

The award could be some nice cup/sculpture whatever with things like
"Linux is OBSOLETE" and similar things engraved somewhere on it...

Regs, Pierre.

PS: Just my two cents, and when will we have some some general
discussion list apart from -devel ;)

Footnotes:
[1]  Yes I'm being unfair to AST, he had some points which still hold,
though IMHO he didn't put them over very well, and his points were
quite one-sided as well, without AST being overly aware of that fact
in my eyes...

[2]  http://www.computerworld.com/home/print.nsf/all/990426A08E

--
Pierre Mai <pmai@acm.org>               http://home.pages.de/~trillian/