Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

R Garth Wood wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, David Starner wrote:
>
> > R Garth Wood wrote:
> > > NT guarantees an uptime up 99.9%. If you calculate that it isn't so good.
> >
> > What does that have to do with anything? Who cares if 1% of the time
> > it's reread when it doesn't need to be? No hash function can be unique
> > for all data (under the circumstances), so some of time the hash
> > function will tell you it's the same when it's not. That's erroring the
> > wrong way.
>
> If you calc it i'll risk the odds.

It's a perfect setup for heisenbugs, because the sysadmin doesn't know
how you set up the hashes. All he knows is this computer isn't working
and his changes to the config file did nothing. As the lilo man page
says, it never hurts to reread the config files.

> > Anyway, a hash function can be storied in a file associated with the
> > text files, if that's necessary.
>
> Heh. It's almost a db now!

Why? Just because I have a file in the same directory that says
"dish.conf: xvvadsfieur19834"?