Re: savelog can lose data

> Because the process still has it open.  Extra code must be added
> to a program to reopen it.  One could argue that programs don't
> do this are broken.  I don't think so do.  It is easier and more
> flexible to write programs that write information to stdout or
> stderr and then redirect these to a log file.

you're missing the point -- the whatever.0 file is not still open, it's long
dead. the move of logfile to logfile.0 is safe for exactly the reason you
describe. or am i missing something here?

--phouchg
"For a price I'd do about anything, except pull the trigger: for that I'd
need a pretty good cause" -- Queensryche, "Revolution Calling"
PGP 5.0 key (0xE024447449) at http://cif.rochester.edu/~jpt/pubkey.txt