Re: Debian Menus (Was: Re: [PROPOSED] moving the menu hierarchy into debian policy)

Andrew D Lenharth <adl@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> How about this for a policy:  All apps put some file in, say,
> /etc/X11/menu_choices

Already have /usr/lib/menu (should maybe be /usr/share/menu, but
that's a separate issue).

> These files should contain the command line, icon, title, suggested sub
> menu, etc of the app.

Already there.

> we then have a program that lets users choose the apps they want and in
> what sub menu they would like them.  This creates a config file in the
> home directory.

You can already create ~/.menu for user customization.

> Then, each WM need only parse that config file to construct the users
> menu.

That's what menu_methods are for.

> (well there is the user menu choosing program).

An interactive editor with which users can customize their menus is a
great idea.  But I think that's really the only thing lacking in the
current scheme.