Re: Debian Menus (Was: Re: [PROPOSED] moving the menu hierarchy into debian policy)

> Looking at the menu system docs, I agree... so, I think this is one
> thing that needs to be policy-cized (that a word?)... maybe an admin
> can switch between a Debian-std-root-menu and a WM/DE specific (he
> will NOT have to choose on installation... we're trying to get away
> From that, right?).

How about this for a policy:  All apps put some file in, say,
/etc/X11/menu_choices
These files should contain the command line, icon, title, suggested sub
menu, etc of the app.

we then have a program that lets users choose the apps they want and in
what sub menu they would like them.  This creates a config file in the
home directory.

Then, each WM need only parse that config file to construct the users
menu.

This would require a script in the WMs to parse menu user menu config
files.  It would also require changing way the update-menu works now.
Maybe, this would be easier than I am imagining (we may already have a
parsable global store of apps?), but even so, it shouldn't be too bad
(well there is the user menu choosing program).

Just my $.02

Andrew Lenharth