Re: intent of package seti@home

Edward Betts writes:
> And J. Random Cracker can have a copy of the real binary, when a md5sum
> is requested, it just sends that the md5sum of that binary rather than
> itself.

This was not intended as a defense against cracker attacks (though it does
add another hurdle for them).  The concern was that well-meaning but inept
programmers would "fix" the source and then distribute buggy binaries.
This would stop that (not it would happen much anyway).

And why is J. Random Cracker going to want to do this anyway?  What's the
point?