Re: XML as a standard UNIX config file format (Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn)

On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 09:55:31AM -0700, Craig Brozefsky wrote:
> At the same time, while I would love it myself, I could never advocate
> a scheme regime of the config file.  I could not advocate any
> unification of config file formats.  It's ludicrous to think that even
> at the syntactic level you can come up with a satisfactory
> representation for all of the different programs out there.

At this point, though, I think it should be pointed out that converting
-some- file formats to XML doesn't mean that -all- file formats would be
XML.  There are definitely some places where XML doesn't work well -- but
on the other hand, there are a lot of places where it works better than
existing syntax.  As you have (correctly) pointed out, it is ludicrous to
try to unify all config formats at once.  But let's not say that just
because XML can't be the "grand unified config syntax" that we shouldn't
pursue some commonality in configuration files.

Andy