Re: Geographic location in /etc

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 10:22:59AM +0100, Robin Stephenson wrote:
> Patrik> There are many programs which usually use the geographic
> Patrik> location [...] shared file [...]
> DNS records have a field for geographic location -- latitude,
> longitude, elevation and an error factor, so that you're defining a
> sphere of variable radius.  This is in RFC 1876.  Rather than defining
> a new way of specifying location, how about using this?
Because many hosts don't have control of their own DNS record.  For that
matter, many hosts don't have a DNS record accassable to them much of the
time (IE are unconnected).  It would probably be a Good Thing to store the
location in RFC1876 format, though.

	-=- James Mastros
--
"My friend Data: You see the world with the wonder of a child, and that
makes you more human then any of us."