Network dependent init.d scripts?

Our current policy expects packages to insert all init.d scripts at all levels
by default. Given that it behooves package maintainers to install init.d
scripts that don't block waiting for network access before continuing. Is
there a consensus on how long network dependent services should wait before
giving up?

Or is there a standard way to detect if the network is up? Perhaps what we
really need is a file like /var/run/network which could be present iff network
services should run, ie, if the "primary" network as defined by the user is
up. Or is there some trick anyone out there has, maybe running rout and
checking for a default route?

It would really be nice if we had a standard tool to ask users what levels
each init.d script should run at. Ie, an interactive version of update-rc.d.
And futhermore if instead of merely "levels" we had named circumstances like
"new network" "network down", kind of like we have rcS.d now. (Personally I
would also want to switch to a file-rc like system as well, but that's an
independent issue.)

greg