/etc/init.d/network is too simple?

I found that original Debian /etc/init.d/network script is too simple
for daily usage.

On the other side is RedHat mechanism - it is too complicated and useless.

Is it possible any compromise?

Debian's script should support for switching up and down interfaces
like in RedHat discribution. But different script files is confused and
it is possible to make one script for all interfaces.

The idea is to use bash functions, for example:
ifdown_eth1() {
    ifconfig eth1 down
}

ifup_eth1 () {
    ifconfig eth1 195.117.65.137 netmask 255.255.255.252 broadcast 195.117.65.13
    route add -net 195.117.65.136 dev eth1
}

I have some proposition at http://www.dexter.fnet.pl/debian/conf/
It would be nice if default Debian script will be similar.

Also I prepared some other script for proxyarping. I think it should
go to netbase with 'network' script. It is no need to prepare standalone
package for one script..

--

Piotr "Dexter" Roszatycki
mailto:dexter@fnet.pl