Re: cardmgr and PCMCIA network card (laptop users please read this)

On 16 Apr 99 01:11:45 GMT  Christoph Baumann wrote:

> I just upgraded my notebook from hamm to slink and noticed that there
> seems to be still some strange behavior with PCMCIA network cards.
> The symptom is that the network isn't initialized correctly. This
> was solved by moving the PCMCIA scripts in /etc/rc?.d/ somewhere
> before the network startup scripts. But there still remained another
> problem. The cardmgr couldn't stop the network when the card was
> removed and so couldn't initialize it again when the card was inserted
> again. When I stopped the network manually (ifconfig eth0 down) the
> card could be removed correctly. Looking at /etc/pcmcia/network
> showed that it contained commands already or also executed in
> /etc/init.d/network . So I made my own tailor-made /etc/pcmcia/network
> script which contained something like this:

> #starting the network
> ifconfig eth0 up
> /etc/init.d/network
> #stopping the network
> ifconfig eth0 down

> This now works fine. Is this a known problem or may I have produced this
> bug by myself?

You have introduced your own problem.  Time and again I have to tell
people this but ...

DO NOT CONFIGURE YOUR PCMCIA NETWORK CONNECTION WITH
/etc/init.d/network!!!!!

That is absolutely wrong!  This is such a common problem that I am
thinking about filing a bug to have included as a comment in this file
stating that PCMCIA cards should NOT be configured here.  PCMCIA network
configuration is done in /etc/pcmcia/network so that the network can be
brought up or down at any time as a card is inserted or ejected, and not
just when the system is started.

SOLUTION:  Don't mess with symlinks in /etc/rc*.d/.  Don't modify
/etc/pcmcia/network.  Instead, clear out the network junk from
/etc/init.d/network, and edit the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file, which
has a fill in the blank format.  Another alternative is to run the
pcnetconfig script, which will generate a network.opts file for you.

Brian