Re: start-stop-daemon on Debian

Brock Rozen <brozen@torah.org> writes:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
>
> > Well...ideally every script SHOULD set its path to include
> > everything it uses (it shouldn't make assumptions of "this is on
> > my path") I dunno if this is currently policy but I think it is
> > goo dpractice...
>
> Yes, it would be a good policy, if not currently one.
>
> > anyway...why is this  aproblem? why do you want to change it?
> > isn't that EXACTLY what you want? (ie it has the path so you
> > don't need to change it)
>
> What I meant to say is that most scripts (or so I'm told) have that line
> -- but the /etc/init.d scripts do *not* have them. The  change I'm
> requesting is to have such a line added.
>
> --
> Brock Rozen                                              brozen@torah.org
> Director of Technical Services                              (410)358-9800
> Project Genesis                                     http://www.torah.org/

     Section 6.1 of the packaging manual says:

     Programs called from maintainer scripts should not normally have a
     path prepended to them. Before installation is started `dpkg' checks
     to see if the programs `ldconfig', `start-stop-daemon',
     `install-info', and `update-rc.d' can be found via the `PATH'
     environment variable. Those programs, and any other program that one
     would expect to on the `PATH', should thus be invoked without an
     absolute pathname. Maintainer scripts should also not reset the
     `PATH', though they might choose to modify it by pre- or appending
     package-specific directories.

     Since you would like to see this policy changed, I believe this
discussion is more suited to the debian-policy list.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>