Re: start-stop-daemon on Debian

On 15-Apr-99, 14:23 (CDT), Bob Hilliard <hilliard@flinet.com> wrote:

>      Section 6.1 of the packaging manual says:
>
>      Programs called from maintainer scripts should not normally have a
>      path prepended to them. [etc. *snip*]
>
>      Since you would like to see this policy changed, I believe this
> discussion is more suited to the debian-policy list.

Debian-policy is indeed the correct list, but that's not the section
that needs to be changed. Maintainer scripts are those that are called
when dpkg installs or removes a package -- the {pre,post}{inst,rm}
scripts. The /etc/init.d scripts are something else. Nor am I sure that
the packaging manual is actually considered "policy"; I think it was
discussed, but I don't remember the outcome.

Section 4.4 of the policy manual covers scripts; at present it doesn't
say anything at all about the PATH variable.

Steve