Security [was: not using debian as firewall!]

I've been using Debian for about one and a half years now, and was
recently surprised to hear that Debian had a bad reputation as far as
security matters went.  I don't know if this reputation was deserved or
how much Debian has improved since then.  One of the examples that the
person that told me this came up with was something to do with the X
wrapper program.  It was all news to me;  I thought that a system like
Debian's corrected problems (especially security related items) very
quickly, certainly much quicker than you would ever get a fix out of
Microsoft...  Then again, the person that I heard this off was a sys-admin
at GNU, a group that have the least stringent security precautions of
all the computing sites I know.  Wouldn't it be great to live in a world
where you didn't need to encrypt your passwords?  Wouldn't it be great to
actually open all the time?  Ho Hum.

Matt

  \\\\/////  Matt Kern            Tel: (01223) 366290
   \_____/